Monday, April 26, 2010

He's Here

Well, a lot has happened since I posted last!!! He has arrived!!! Paxton James Kalivoda made his grand entrance into this world on Tuesday, April 20, 2010 at 9:38am weighing in at 6lbs 1oz and 19 inches long. Although that makes him about 4 weeks early, he is doing fabulously!! This little guy was just ready and is proving that he was not at all early....he came at just the right time!!!

Here's the story:

I was taken off the meds to stop my contractions on Monday. I had an appointment with the doctor that afternoon....I also had a lot of pelvic pressure and quite a few contractions, but nothing HUGE. I went to the doctor...she was delivering 3 babies at our appointment time (all 3 ladies went into labor at the same time...pretty crazy), so the nurse saw me. She said I was not dilated and everything looked fine, and we were on our way. I had a feeling that something more was going on, but I just figured it was because I was no longer on any medication. We went about our day as usual. Played with Maddox....ate dinner at my mom's house and just enjoyed the evening. We put Maddox down and I continued to get the house picked up and all the baby things put away from the shower that weekend. Brad and I decided to watch some more of our new favorite show "24" via Netflix. I started having more contractions (which, once again, was not unusual) at about 9:30. They started getting more and more frequent. We went to bed around 11pm and I was still having several contractions; however, as the night progressed, so did the contractions. At midnight I started to wonder if I was in true labor, but I did not want to make a big deal out of anything and we waited it out. We waited as long as I could and at around 2am I called my mom to see if we could bring Maddox over to her house as we were making our way up to the hospital to get checked out. We got everyone situated and arrived at the hospital around 3am. They checked me and sure enough, I was in labor dilated to a 4 and 90% effaced. I think we both kind of knew I was in labor, but we were both shocked to know how far along I was already. Well, by 6am I was dilated to a 6....I received my epidural and continued to progress quickly!!

Also, about 6am...we had a knock on our hospital door and in walked my best friend Sarah!!! She received our text at 4am that I was in labor and she hopped in the car and drove from Midland in the middle of the night so she could be there with us!! She will never know how special that was and how much that meant to me to have here there....even as I type this I am getting a little teary eyed at how sweet she is to me and how much she loves my boys!! Thanks Sarah for making Paxton's Day so special!!!

Anyway...back to the epidural worked well at the beginning, but at around 8am I started to feel intense contractions and a lot of pressure...I was dilated to an 8 and this little boy was not waiting around!! They tried to give me more medicine to see if it would help, but unfortunately it did not. I felt almost everything and it was pretty intense...however, I was super blessed because once again, my body just took over and by 9am it looked like we were going to have a baby any minute!!! It ends up, Paxton was facing head up and was pushing right on my pelvic bone (thus the crazy pelvic pressure and why the epidural wouldn't stop the pain). His heart rate began to drop quickly, so the doctor decided I needed an epsiotomy and then we had little Paxton within seconds of that!!

Everything is going beautifully! I feel great...its amazing how much those constant contractions for months really zapped the energy out of me! I am healing wonderfully and feel really good. They were of course worried about Paxton's little lungs and body temperature because he was early...but he is just fine! Like I said before, he was just ready!! They were also concerned that he would have a harder time figuring out how to nurse, but he is doing amazingly well!! We are so blessed to have a happy, healthy, perfect little boy!!

Big brother Maddox thinks Paxton is pretty neat and laughs every time Paxton moves his hands, or grunts or anything. Unfortunately, Mr. Maddox started running fever Thursday evening (the day we got home) and is now at my mom's house until he is fever free. The doctor checked him out and couldn't find what was causing him to have such a high ear infection, no strep throat, no RSV....he does have a little runny nose...but its just weird...his fever was as high as 103!! Poor little guy. Mom says he is doing really well....I miss him so much. It breaks my heart that I am not there with him while he is sick..but I know it is best for all of us. It has helped me have a few days to adjust to having a newborn in the house and Maddox is getting GiGi's undivided attention (which he LOVES).

I am still in awe that I am the mom of 2 little boys!! We are so blessed!!


The Curry's said...

Congratulations!!! He is just precious and looks alot like Maddox already!!! Enjoy your 2 sweet boys!!

Jocelyn said...

Yipee! I'm glad everything went well and that you are all doing good! He is so sweet and handsome! Can't wait to see him the next time we are in Lubbock! Congratulations!

Hayes Fam ♥ said...

Congrats! Looks like Maddox is already a great big brother :)

Morgan said...

He is just adorable, I love the bear hat. Very cute. Im glad you are healing well and that its been a easy transition being home with your little guys :)