Friday, February 19, 2010

The Lord is Changing my Life

The strong willed child...yes, that sums up our little boy Maddox in every sense of the phrase. He has been strong willed since birth....not a cuddlier, never one to want to sit in a lap. Always on the go, he knows what he wants, when he wants it even if he cannot articulate WHAT exactly he is wanting or how he is wanting to get it. He does not forget anything, he cannot be distracted if his mind is made up on something. He tests the boundaries (and mommy's patience) You cannot "make" him do anything he does not want to do (I say "make" him because it certainly will not be willingly...there is a fight, a battle, a long conversation and usually a form of disciple needed in order to get the result requested) My job is a full of being consistent, not giving in to anything whether it is big or small....he cannot "win" a battle because it creates more issues in the long run. My job is exhausting and frustrating at times (and I am well aware of the fact that I am 12 short weeks away from guiding another little boy into manhood, while keeping up with the never ending job ahead of me)
This week has been discouraging and trying. My patience has been tested on all areas. My body has been put to the limits. My heart at times has felt fragile as I attempt to fight the good fight and do what is right for Maddox. There were several days this week where I desperately longed for anything different....any type of change...discouraged and wondering if I am doing any of this right.
The Lord is always faithful and yet again has opened my eyes to HIS will and HIS plan in our lives! The Lord gave me this child for a purpose. He wants me to mold and shape this youngster and prepare him for a life of service to Him. And I'm up to the task. I'm going to make it with the Lord's help. This is my goal....my attitude in the face of a very discouraging, frustrating and exhausting week. The Lord blessed us with Maddox, and while his strong will definitely keeps my on my toes....that same strong will, will eventually make him a tremendous man who can fight off peer pressure, be an amazing leader, never sit still and let someone do something for him, fight for what is right, find a cure for cancer, change the world forever. This strong will, will allow him to be the man the LORD created him to be!
From this day forward this is my prayer as a mother as I embrace the journey of raising a strong willed child who is passionate, fun loving, energetic and non conforming :
"Lord, You know my inadequacies. You know my weaknesses, not only in parenting, but in every area of my life. I'm doing the best I can to raise Maddox (and Paxton) properly, but it may not be good enough. As You provided the fish and the loaves to feed the five thousand hungry people, now take my meager effort and use it to bless my family. Make up for the things I do wrong. Satisfy the needs that I have not met. Compensate for my blunders and mistakes. Wrap Your great arms around Maddox and Paxton, and draw them close to You. And be there when they stand at the great crossroads between right and wrong. All I can give them is my best, and I will continue to do that. I submit them to You now and rededicate myself to the task You have placed before me. The outcome rests securely in Your hands."

Thank you Jesus for guiding me, opening my eyes to Your will and transforming my heart on a daily basis!

1 comment:

LovelyLadyCakes said...

Hey I was looking up this for my friend it's called "The Happiest Toddler on the Block"- they also have "the happiest baby on the block", but came across this silly tid-bit...
When toddlers get upset, the brain center that controls language, logic, and patience literally shuts down. No wonder they transform into impatient and irrational Conan the Barbarians! I tested out a new theory, and began speaking to my cranky toddler patients in a simpler, more primitive language (think Tarzan, or Bamm-Bamm from The Flintsones). I was amazed to discover that I could often soothe their tantrum – and even get a few smiles – in less than one minute!

hehe, Love ya, always thinking of ya!